Moving to a new house can be a stressful experience, but it doesn’t have to be. When you start preparing early, there are different ways you can make the moving experience enjoyable for you and your family.
Aside from hiring professional removalists, one way to make the process easier is to use long-term storage services. Depending on the size of your move and the amount of time you need to have your items stored, it may be a more practical option than moving all your belongings to your new residence. Using long-term storage can be a great option if you need to:
- Store your belongings while you wait for your new house to be ready.
- Move in stages or over time.
- Downsize your belongings.
- Store furniture or appliances while you remodel your new home.
If it’s your first time using storage services and you’re worried about the limitations of using such services, you won’t have to worry since there are several options you can consider until you find the most suitable arrangements based on your needs. Below are some the types of long-term storage services you can consider::
- Self-storage units
These are individual units that you rent from a storage facility. This option allows you more flexibility since you can load your items into the container at your own pace. You can pack and store your belongings yourself, or you can hire a moving company to do it for you.
- Portable storage containers
These are large containers that are delivered to your home and then picked up and taken to a storage facility. In most cases, you will be given a set amount of time to pack your belongings in the container before the removalists return to pick up the container and store it in one of their facilities. Just like self-storage, you can pack and store your belongings yourself, or you can make arrangements to have the removalists do it for you.
- Moving companies with storage
Some moving companies offer storage services as part of their moving packages. You should request this when looking around for moving quotes This can be a convenient option if you’re already using a moving company to move your belongings.
When choosing a long-term storage service, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- The size of the storage unit or container you need.
- The location of the storage facility.
- The security features offered by the storage facility.
- The cost of the storage service.
- It’s also important to pack your belongings carefully before you store them. This will help to protect them from damage and theft.
Long-term storage can be a great way to make the moving process easier. By carefully considering your needs and choosing the right storage service, you can ensure that your belongings are safe and secure until you’re ready for them.
- Decide what to store
Not everything needs to go into storage. Take some time to go through your belongings and decide what you really need to keep. If you haven’t used something in the past year, it’s probably safe to get rid of it.
- Clean and inspect your belongings
Before you pack anything, make sure it’s clean and free of dirt, dust, and debris. This will help prevent mould and mildew from forming in storage.
- Use the right packing materials
Don’t just use any old boxes to pack your belongings. Use sturdy boxes that are the right size for the items you’re packing. You’ll also need packing tape, bubble wrap, and packing peanuts.
- Pack your belongings carefully
Fragile items should be packed separately and cushioned well. Label each box clearly with the contents and the room it will be stored in.
- Use the right moving equipment
If you’re packing heavy items, you’ll need a dolly or hand truck to help you move them. You may also want to rent a storage unit with a loading dock.
- Store your belongings in a safe place
Choose a storage unit that is secure and well-lit. Make sure the unit is climate-controlled if you’re storing items that are sensitive to temperature changes.
To keep your belongings safe, especially when the goods are being transported to your home, it is highly recommended that you use the right packing materials and moving equipment:
- Use sturdy cardboard boxes. Avoid using boxes that are already damaged or that have been recycled.
- Use packing tape that is strong and durable.
- Use bubble wrap to cushion fragile items.
- Use packing peanuts to fill empty spaces in boxes.
- Label each box clearly with the contents and the room it will be stored in.
- Use a dolly or hand truck to help you move heavy items.
- Rent a storage unit with a loading dock if you’re packing heavy items.
- Store your belongings in a safe place.
It may seem costly, but packing your belongings properly and using the right materials can help ensure that your belongings are properly prepared for long-term storage and that they will arrive in good condition when you need them.